browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Colombia day 4 – Scuba diving but a rough night before

Posted by on July 27, 2011

I had one of the worst nights in a long time. I have no idea what made me my stomach completely jolted so much during the night. I mean during the day I had no problems or even when I was about to fall asleep. Absolutely no internal disagreements at the time. Just lights out and I’m drifting off to sleep until I got this pain in my guts at around 12 am or 1 am. Because the place has shared bathrooms, I walked out of the room with the pain in my stomach and just stared in front of the mirror wondering what was going on. I realized that I was sweating profusely since the room didn’t have air conditioning but just a couple of fans to keep me cooled. I then decided to take a shower in an attempt to lower my core body temperature. I was also hoping that would make me feel better as well. And as I’m taking the shower, I had this wretched feeling that made my guts turn violently that I bended over and just vomited right there in the shower stall. Good thing I was in the shower with the water turned on and not someplace else like my room otherwise I would made a nasty mess.

But gosh, did that hurt badly. I was trying to remember what I ate the day before – Conzuela de Mariscos. Instead of thinking about it, I just cleaned up and walked back to the room to hopefully sleep off the stomach pains away. Oh no. However, the pain did not go away. Not this time. About an hour later, I woke up again with more pain in my stomach and realized that I had to get to the bathroom again, but fast! I stumbled my way over there only to violently crank out another vomit session which was worse than the first time around. Thankfully, I did make it to the bathroom on time. I just stood there in the front of the sink, bent over, hands on the sides of the sink, and staring in the mirror thinking, “I’ve eaten tons of weird stuff and never gotten sick at all. But what’s the problem here now?” Oh, that was not a good night at all as I probably only gotten at most 3-4 hours of sleep before I woke up to the clinks and clanks of air tanks being loaded on the dive boat.

I informed the dive master about my episode during the night and I did feel better during the morning that I was more than willing to give it a go on diving. Two dives, yet again, in paradise. So after getting all the dive gear readied, I walked down to the dive boat and got on. After cruising to the dive site, I put on the gear and jumped in the water as usual. I didn’t have any problems what so ever and saw lots of cool stuff underwater as I always do while scuba diving.

Thumbs up while diving, scuba charter in Taganga, Colombia, Caribbean

I looked out on the outside to be diving...

Blue spiny lobster, big one, scuba charter in Taganga, Colombia, Caribbean

...that I even spotted this big Spiny Lobster...

Coral or sea plant? scuba charter in Taganga, Colombia, Caribbean

...I even saw this odd-looking thing that looked like coral or a sea plant? But in reality, I was hurting internally!

I thought I was okay after coming out of the water on that dive but I started getting sick again once the boat stopped for its mid-morning break between dives. I just felt it, bad. Not only did the stomach feel weird but my entire body including my fast-dizzying head, was feeling it. I then informed the divemaster that there was no way in hell I was going to do another dive that day as I just felt like passing out. I didn’t feel like passing out underwater and causing undue stress on myself or other people so I just laid down somewhere on the boat while everyone else did their second dive. It felt like minutes that everyone did their second dive, came up, and even coming back, I didn’t notice it at all.

As soon as I got back to the dive shop, I washed myself, changed clothes, and jumped right into bed to pass out. It was such a rough day that I fell asleep instantly. The only problem was that I got the shits all day. I couldn’t eat anything but consume water in order to prevent dehydration from occurring. I guess I had that weird jungle fever and illness that soldiers in Vietnam got – they cut out holes in their pants so they could take a crap in the middle of a firefight since everyone had diarrhea or something bad in their guts. I had that same kind of pain. I’m pretty sure that I had what they had – dysentery, although I can’t confirm it even though I had the same symptoms of the need to defecate every 30-60 minutes. The other problem was trying to get enough sleep and requires some odd coordination so I didn’t crap my pants. I know I should have gone to the pharmacy to get some medicine but I was too weak to do so.

All in all, it was a painful night and day to remember by. That’s why days like that makes me happy that about the days I’m not sick. Guess that seeing that snake the day before wasn’t good luck at all. Guess that Conzuela de Mariscos wasn’t such a good idea the day before. Served me right not to eat the seafood out in Taganga even though I ate it two days prior.